Did you know berries are nature’s little powerhouse? Some call them, especially blueberries, a super food. They pack a nutrient punch as well as being one of the most versatile fruits available. Whether the kids are eating them fresh picked, you’re baking them in your favourite pie or steeping them in tea, berries are a wonder! Here are our top 10 benefits of this amazing fruit:
Berries are loaded with antioxidants which keep our cells healthy. Blueberries, blackberries and raspberries have the highest antioxidant levels found in fruit.
Berries are high in fiber, including soluble fiber which reduces the feeling of hunger and increases the feeling of fullness.
Berries are packed with nutrients and are low in calories. 1 cup of strawberries provides 150% of your recommended daily vitamin C with only 49 calories.
Berries can fight inflammation and decrease the risk of heart disease.
Berries are a heart healthy food and may help lower cholesterol levels.
Berries can be good for the skin.
Berries are full of antioxidants, and because of this can help protect against disease.
Berries can be enjoyed by almost everyone. Whether you are vegan, keto, low-carb or paleo, berries can be a great addition to meals with their low calorie and low carb count.
Berries keep those arteries healthy!
Berries add that extra wow to a variety of recipes! Add them to your morning yogurt or smoothie, toss some into a salad or enjoy as a dessert or snack.
Some of the healthiest and tastiest berries are:
- Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C. They are proven to reduce risk factors for heart disease and can help control blood sugar.
- Blueberries contain good amounts of fiber, vitamin C and antioxidant anthocyanins.
- Raspberries are full of fiber and antioxidant polyphenols.
- Goji Berries contain high levels of vitamin A and zeaxanthin which are both great for eye health. They are one of the best sources of antioxidant polyphenols and may contain as much as ten times more antioxidants than blueberries!
- Cranberries are most commonly consumed in juice form and are effective at preventing urinary tract and stomach infections and may benefit heart health. Watch the sugar levels in juice!
- Acai Berries grow on acai palm trees native to the Brazilian Amazon region. This berry is a true powerhouse! They’re loaded with powerful antioxidants, and some research claims they help boost cognitive function and protect heart health.
We’re also excited about our new produce quality guarantee at Save-On-Foods, our Triple Produce Promise!
Berries are great in recipes!
Strawberry Muffins with Pecan Streusel
Strawberry, Mango & Cucumber Salad