Let’s celebrate this beautiful planet we call home this Earth Day, Sunday, April 22! Save-On-Foods has a history of taking the lead when it comes to running sustainable stores and we’re focused on continuing to do the right thing in every area of our business. We are proud to run energy-efficient stores and we are doing what we can to eliminate waste & help our customers shop sustainably. For more information, click here. Keep scrolling for sustainable products, recipes & tips to make every day Earth Day!
Western Family Ocean Wise Sustainable Seafood
The Ocean Wise sustainable seafood program educates and empowers consumers about the issues surrounding overfishing. The Ocean Wise symbol on a seafood package means it’s ocean-friendly and by choosing to eat Ocean Wise seafood, consumers are helping to ensure the health of our oceans for generations to come. As a proud partner of the Ocean Wise program, Save-On-Foods is committed to providing sustainable, ocean-friendly seafood. We are excited to announce that all Western Family frozen prawns are now 100% sustainable and Ocean Wise recommended. These prawns have been farmed ethically, responsibly & sustainably! Shop online for the prawns here & check out the below recipes for a delicious sustainable meal! For more information about the Save-On-Foods partnership with the Ocean Wise program, click here.
- Western Family Ocean Wise Prawn Chowder
- Western Family Ocean Wise Prawn & Asparagus Risotto
- Western Family Ocean Wise Spicy Prawn Spaghetti
7 Easy Green Planet Tips
- Compost all organic matter like fruit peels, egg shells & coffee grounds
- Leave your re-usable bags in your car or by your front door so that you don’t forget them on your next trip to the grocery store.
- Did you know: at the rate we’re using plastic bags, there will be more plastic in our oceans than fish by weight in 2050! Can you ditch using single-use bags for one week? If so, enter Recycle BC’s challenge: RecycleBC.ca/BringYourBag and #BringYourBag! This week at Save-On-Foods you can purchase 5 reusable bags for $5! Shop them here.
- Look for the Ocean Wise symbol when purchasing seafood – the logo indicates that the seafood is ocean-friendly
- Pack your lunch in cleaned out pasta jars and yogurt containers
- Fill tupperware or other containers with products from our bulk section to reduce package waste
- Make small changes to your diet, like opting for plant-based milk or eating vegetarian once per week
- Use plant-based cleaning products like Seventh Generation