February is National Heart Health Month so we’ve partnered up with Western Family to bring you tips for how to keep your heart healthy.
See your local Save-On-Foods Pharmacist for helpful heart healthy products and services, such as:
- Lifestyle and nutrition tips
- Quit smoking advice
- Omega-3 supplements
- In-store nutrition tours
- Advice on ASA and heart attacks
Will taking daily ASA help prevent a heart attack?
Taking daily ASA may help those at risk of a heart attack; however, it is best to speak with your healthcare provider to find out if it is appropriate for you. If you feel like you’re having a heart attack, call 9-1-1 immediately and take two 81mg ASA. Taking ASA may help prevent a blood clot. See your pharmacist for more details.
Tips from our in-store Dietitians:
Heart health is one of the most important contributors to our overall health. Including foods high in healthy fats and fibre can help keep your heart healthy and cholesterol levels controlled. Here are a few quick and easy tips for getting more of these heart healthy foods into your daily routine.
- Throw ½ an avocado and 1-2 tbsp of ground flaxseed into your smoothie in the morning for a boost of healthy fats
- Toss some walnuts into your oatmeal in the morning, or have a handful as a snack
- Consume salmon at least once a week