How do you say hello to summer? We say its time to BBQ! Whether it’s the goal of the perfect steak, hot dogs for the kids or delicious grilled veggies, we all love the weekend BBQ.
Summer is the perfect time to get outside and enjoy a laid back meal with your family and friends. With a little bit of planning and some simple prep tips, you can make the most of BBQ season.
Get the kids involved! Kids love to be a part of the meal prep and cooking process. Give younger kids tasks such as menu ideas, washing fruit and veggies and arranging veggie trays. Older kids can season meat, cut veggies and even help on the grill.
Celebrating? Take it outside! A birthday, an anniversary or a holiday has a great summer vibe when celebrated outside.
- Coleslaw is always a great side dish.
- a BBQ isn’t complete without Potato Salad
- Pasta Salad is perfect for summer. Try grilling peppers and zucchini pieces and adding them in.
- Corn on the Cob done on the grill=yum!
- Kids love Watermelon, Berries, and other summer fruits.
- Cut Veggies for dipping- perfect for the little ones.
- Tortilla Chips and fresh Guacamole
- Switch up the regular hot dog and hamburger buns with Tortillas or Pitas.
- The star of your meal can be steaks, chicken, hot dogs or a great piece of fish– all will be winners!
The Perfect Steak
Place the steaks on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare (an internal temperature of 57 degrees C), 5 to 7 minutes for medium (140 degrees F) or 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well (65 degrees C).
How to grill perfect veggies
- Lightly oil your veggies
- Learn the cook time, some veggies take longer than others
- Skewers and grill baskets are a chef’s go-to
- Cut smaller pieces for quicker cook time
- Try cooking in packets. Wrap your thin layers of veggies is foil and cook until tender.
Our favourite BBQ Recipes